French plumbing - quelle horreur!

The French are great at many things - wine, food, cakes and pastries (which technically fall under the food category, but are so good, they deserve their own special mention), looking effortlessly stylish, having magnificent hair, knowing how to wear a jaunty scarf, marrying dead people... Unfortunately, plumbing does not seem to be one of their innate talents. 

A depressingly familiar sight

The day I was due to move into my new apartment in the suburbs three weeks ago, the host got in touch with me. 

Jean-Luc: Hey Linda, there's a problem with the cold water in the apartment today. 

Me: Oh, what is it? 

Jean-Luc: There is none. 

Me: Right. 

Jean-Luc: They're working on it though so hopefully it will be fixed later. I'll come around with the paperwork for the flat this evening. 

Me: OK, I guess if my skin is peeling off when you see me, we'll know that the fix hasn't worked. 

But, amazingly, later that day, the cold water was back and I was able to wash things, including myself, like a normal person with no screeching. 

Two days later...

Me: Hi Jean-Luc, today there's no hot water. 

Jean-Luc: What? I thought the problem was fixed. 

Me: Yeah, me too. 

Jean-Luc: Welcome to France.

Me: Hmm. 

Jean-Luc: I will bring you croissants when the hot water comes back. 

The hot water did come back eventually but the croissants never materialised. 

A few days later, my friend was due to arrive for a visit from Berlin. I tidied up the flat a bit and went to get in the shower. The water went from vaguely lukewarm to icy in around two minutes. But, with company on the way, I had to persevere. I'm sure the neighbours were wondering what all the yelping coming from flat 6 was about but that's the kind of friend I am - generally not stinky. 

Last Thursday...

Me: Hi Jean-Luc, today there's no water at all. 

Jean-Luc: Oui, there is no water in the entire building. They're sending out a team. Seemingly, there's a massive problem with the heating system but they're not sure what it is or how to fix it. 

Me: Hold off on the croissants. 

...

Jean-Luc: Any developments? 

Me: Umm, the tap is spurting out brown goo. Is that progress? 

Jean-Luc: Ha ha ha! 

Unfortunately for the residents of Saint-Émilion, I had already booked tickets to go there the next day. I gave myself a once-over with some wipes, slathered on extra make-up, doused myself in perfume, and hoped that I wouldn't be too repellent. 

Jean-Luc was in touch later that day. 

Jean-Luc: The first team was there and they managed to get the cold water back on. I went to the building and the entire basement is under water. I spoke with one of the neighbours and he told me he also has no hot water but that I should enjoy the cold showers - they'll make a man of me - but he's like 80 years old.

Me: Yeah, well, at 80, your bits are probably already shrivelled to nothing. I'd quite like to keep mine fresh and perky for another few years. 

Jean-Luc: You're funny! They're sending in a second team to try to get the hot water back on. 

Me: I hope this team is German. 

Sitting with a glass of wine in sunny Saint-Émilion, at a smell-safe distance from other people, I fantasised about the Germans being helicoptered in, descending on the building on ropes, like a SWAT team only with wrenches instead of weapons. Special Wrenches and Toolbelts, or something. 

Hopefully the Germans were on the way

After spending a full day in the sunshine, but with the temperature dipping dramatically in the evening, the only thing I wanted to do was take a nice hot shower when I got home. 

I ran the tap in the kitchen. Cold. I ran the tap in the bathroom. Cold. I ran the tap in the kitchen again. Still cold. I ran the tap in the bathroom again. Still cold. I repeated this until I started feeling a bit like Sisyphus. I messaged Jean-Luc to let him know of the lack of developments and he kindly offered to refund me the rest of my stay and help me move to a new place. 

But the thoughts of changing apartments a third time for the sake of a week seemed like kind of hard work. Instead, I started devising a complex showering plan involving the kettle, pots and pans, and various cloths for various stages of the procedure. A bit like MacGyver - but if MacGyver was wet and shivering with suds in his eyes. 

I wondered if I could pass dirt off as tan. 

Dirt or tan? I'll never tell... (Hint: it's most likely 90% dirt.)

I Sisyphused around a bit more, fully aware that I might be going mad but, astonishingly, at around midnight, the hot water came back! I messaged Jean-Luc with news of this French plumbing midnight miracle. 

Now, I have no idea what was actually going on down there in the basement but I reckon I could already be a French plumber - make French noises (anything along the lines of buh, uhhhhhhhhhhhh, or alors will do), shrug French shoulders, make troubled - but still very attractive - face, flick magnificent hair, adjust scarf, go to lunch. 

So, new plan for when I go back to Berlin - instead of taking French classes, I'm going to become a plumber's apprentice. I figure if I can be even 10% effective, I'll be able to retire in France in around two years. Then I can devote my energies to buying scarves and working on my shrugging technique. 

Comments

  1. Firstly, I do like the layout of your new blog. France sounds like a real horror when it comes to plumbing. You're made of stronger stuff than me ... I would have taken Jean-Luc's offer of moving ;-) So ... what made you switch to Blogger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop! I've figured out how to comment even if it still looks a bit weird... Will get my tech genius friend to help me out during the week ;) Moving seemed like more hassle than becoming MacGyver haha! An old friend from uni was coincidentally in Bordeaux at the same time as me and we met up again after more than 20 years. By day 3, she described her hair as "about to walk off her head" - she also had no hot water in her apartment :D :D

      Delete
  2. By the way, is there any way to subscribe to your new blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Linda, so I was able to click on Follow but that means I have to be logging into Blogger.com to follow you. I will, but I was hoping I could subscribe through email like I can with WordPress. An email option to subscribe wasn’t offered. Maybe you could check your settings (again … sorry)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice layout. But I'm confused - are you moving to France permanently or have you just moved blog sites? And I too would have moved (anywhere within reason) for hot water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wembley, thanks for the comment and sorry it's taken so long to reply! I've been having some, er, technical issues with Blogspot - i.e., I am crap with Blogspot :D So, I'm back in Berlin for now - have to finish up in my job, but heading to Toulouse in two weeks... then I decide between the two cities but I think Bordeaux will win out - the people there are amazing, even if the plumbing leaves a lot to be desired :D The plan is to take (A LOT OF) French lessons in the meantime and hopefully move in 3 - 6 months. Should be an adventure!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A day trip to Saint-Émilion

Parklife